Music Creates The Mood

Human emotion can be influenced immensely when that person is listening to music. If listening to music has ever created the feeling of wanting to cry or has given the motivation to go the extra mile, then it’s arguably agreeable that music can have an extreme impact on emotions. When intended, music can implement comfort during hard times and can develop relaxation. As mentioned in my earlier posts, it’s factual that having music playing while trying to be productive works. Not only does it work to be productive, but it helps to ease anxiety and stress. Two common factors that get in the way when anyone has hit a creative or mental block. Why does music alleviate any stress or anxiety that we may be feeling?
Photo by: Oracle.com
An improved mood has the biggest impact on any type of productivity. Happiness is the one feeling that we all want to achieve, but it’s difficult when emotional demons get in the way. This is the biggest problem people have when it comes to wanting to be productive. We simply cannot because we don’t have that push or we feel stuck. Music boosts happiness, which brings the motivation to want to get out of that slump. When it comes to music and emotion, one central concept is adamant: music brings out an emotional response no matter who is listening. Even our negative emotions can be experienced in a positive light. According to Science Alert’s article, “When we match our music to our feels, and it looks like sad music can be enjoyable - rather than simply depressing - because it triggers positive memories that can help to lift our mood.”
When we’re able to change how we’re feeling, underlying intentions such as turning on a playlist upon boredom or sadness can actually work to eventually make us happy. Additionally, because music makes us happier, this means it’s known to reduce anxiety. It creates an ambiance that makes people feel that the weight is lifted off of their shoulders. The environment you create impacts on the behavior you get. Listening to music activates our brains, thus using it to our advantage to improve the way we focus, relax, and complete stressful work. Workloads won’t seem as compacted if one were to just press play. Music motivates individuals by evoking positive energy. This leads to another one of my questions: Why do people need music to exercise?
As mentioned in HuffPost's article, “music possesses “high-groove” qualities, the brain gets excited and induces movement in the listener. Basically, your playlist has the ability to make you move — no matter how much you’re dreading that workout.”

When I compare these two articles, I find that that the two go side by side because they both have the same goal. The goal is to relieve of any sort of bad feeling and to find bliss. 
Photo by: Inklyo.com
Listening to music motivates people to keep their eye on the prize and push harder than they normally would. “High-groove” songs that are upbeat brings us back to the reason why people choose to listen to electronic sounds when they’re wanting to acquire the feeling of being amped. This all leads to happiness which generates productivity in the best way.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed your post because it is so relatable. I think we all have those songs that boost our happiness and make those bad days turn into good ones. I know that I do! What I found most interesting is the fact that listening to sad music matches our music our sad mood and can boost our happiness. People have always told me that sad music just makes things worse but I always felt better after listening to it.

    I think something that I would add to this post is some scientific studies or information directly associated with the music adding to productivity and mood, or maybe to reduce depression and anxiety.

    I think that music can motivate certain people. I know that I can't go to the gym without my "work out playlist" but I think that is because it helps distract me from the running. I know that I absolutely cannot listen to music while doing homework because I get horribly distracted and unmotivated. So... I think it depends on the person.

    I think your post is so interesting and it's definitely something that I would like to learn more about... especially why it doesn't work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m currently taking Anatomy and Physiology this summer and we have just started to learn about the brain and nervous systems. Did you know that the right side of your brain is responsible for musical and artistical awareness? So, while the right side of your brain processes the music you hear your left side of the brain is free to use reasoning math, reading, and writing skills. When you hear music, it activates the memory sections of your sensory part of the brain located in the parietal lobe and when you tap along to that music you are using your cerebellum. The brain is fascinating! The brain saves related information together like music and emotions. Also if you ever wonder why you can smell something that brings back memories of your childhood that is because our brains store that information in the same section.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your topic is very relatable, there are many activities that I refuse to do without music, like working out. I agree too that music can pull you out of a writing rut, even just by keeping us thinking about random things because of the constantly changing tune. I find it interesting that the type of music plays a large role in the effects because I can’t listen to “high groove” music when I’m studying, I always listen to slower songs. What educational applications does music offer other than happiness for the listener? Is there music that increases productivity regardless of a person’s unique preference in music?
    Jaxson Ross

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your topic/post extremely interesting and I never knew that this was an actual thing that was backed up by research. It completely makes sense though because I always feel like I am way more productive when I am listening to music. It almost gives you a boost of confidence and drive.
    This post makes me wonder what chemical reactions occur during this boost of happiness? What about music makes us feel more happy and enlightened?
    I agree with the 100%, and it totally gives me an excuse to listen to music ALL the time! This is a very true point that is proven in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy your further research. Those evidences made me more comfortable listen to music when I work. Currently, it seems like the advantages are more than disadvantages, but I was still wondering if different activities might receive different effects from music. For example, activity like work-out is hard to distract, but thinking might be distracted. Just some thoughts, and look forward to reading your final post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes a lot of sense to me. Music always changes my mood from good to bad. Your research also explains a lot to why when I was pregnant listening to music often made me cry “happy tears.” I think my emotions just went with the music and we’re basically on overload. I think its crazy how much music can change a setting and emotions. Your research is great and very relatable. I enjoy learning more about how influential music is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts