Music Makes Repetitive Tasks Enjoyable

There’s scientific reasoning as to listening to music improve efficiency, creativity, and how it can get the creative juices flowing. A lot of people can argue that having music playing while trying to complete any task can be a huge distraction. Which is ironic considering how it was recommended to not be listening to any music when trying to work. Think about it. Do you remember being in school and wanting to listen to earbuds during an assignment, but weren’t allowed to? According to BBC News, researchers said that dopamine gets released into our brains in response to music. Levels of dopamine were found to be up to 9% higher when people were listening to music they enjoyed while wanting to be productive. Dopamine is heavily associated with the feeling of being in love. Being in love equals happiness and happiness equals efficiency and creativity!  

Photo: medium.com
An article that I found on medium.com provides examples of how it affected certain studies when music was being played in the background.  “In 1972, a study published in Applied Ergonomics suggested that people doing repetitive tasks worked more efficiently when background music was played.” And “A 1999 study in the Journal of Neuroscience and behavioral physiology showed that playing classical or rock music allowed study participants to identify numbers more quickly and accurately.” These are just brief examples of how music affects productivity, but now we can see how it is beneficial. The music is providing a sense of relief from boring work. When we engage ourselves with music, it makes us feel less alone and that anything can be achieved.  
So, what kind of music helps? Does it matter what kind we’re listening to? The answer to both questions is yes. Depending on what type of task you’re trying to get done, certain genres will help achieve just about anything. 
Familiarity is best for focus. 
You want to listen to songs that you already know, your mind will be distracted if you’re listening to a song that you’ve never heard before. Your brain will recognize that it's foreign and you probably won’t get any work done. When it comes to certain genres, each one can do something different to the mind.  
Classical music helps concentration a lot when trying to study. One study shows how much of an impact Baroque tunes have on productivity. The music is fresh and puts ease to the mind. Here’s an example of what most people listen to when they study: 
Electronic music and ambient music represent repetitive sounds, this helps but it doesn’t disrupt our focus. The melodies build on each other and help us to focus on one goal and one goal only. This is the reason why they have this type of music in the background of many video games. We get to enjoy ourselves while still wanting to complete the mission at hand. Whatever that may be. 
But what about the people who can't find the ability to concentrate when there is music playing? 
The Cardiff study presents a more realistic scenario. It states that when a person is hearing music at the same time as doing the expected task, the results won't be good. The beat of the music is not the distracting part, it's the lyrics. Just like a conversation, your attention is moved to listening to the words, in the case of songs, it's lyrics. Music can prove itself to be beneficial to improving work productivity, just under the right circumstances; in the case of repetitive tasks, it proves itself quite the boost. However, mentally demanding tasks require one's full attention and that means no music whatsoever. 

So, why does this work for most people and for others, it doesn't? It very well may be something that is based on taste and personal preference. Regardless, positive effects of productivity from music have been found and it may certainly be worth trying it out.

Music without consent is most likely to cause more negative effects than positive. In other words, if it's present; this means the person who's listening is wanting to enhance their performance. The music was purposeful. 

Comments

  1. This is a very fascinating topic. I have wondered about this question of helping the mind focus when listening to music. Does it also just depend on the person, I know personally, I can't focus on anything unless I am working in silence, almost in solitude.
    It is interesting to learn that depending on what you are doing depicts what kind of music you should listen to in terms of genre.
    This is interesting and I am going to give the familiarity of music another try when trying to focus on certain tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all my time in high school hearing that I couldn't listen to music, I guess I didn't give much thought to if music really is distracting. That's super cool of you to look into that! Music with lyrics are often distracting to me, since I tend to daydream, but I often will listen to jazz music when studying, without any vocals, and I am much happier listening to music! I always thought the argument would come down to focus, I never even thought dopamine and how happy you are when you work would have an affect, but thinking about it more, it totally makes sense! Sometimes I don't even listen to music, but podcasts or episodes of a tv show i have seen many times and have that as a background noise. So it is true if you're brain is familiar with the noise it will tune it out.
    Maybe to help you look a little deeper, you can look into which kind of music works best. I mean like softer, more relaxing slower paced music? Or maybe more cheery music? I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really exciting to read your latest post and to know that music do helps. To b honest, I am struggling to decide whether I should quit listening music at the same time of doing assignments or not. Now I don't need to worry about that, and not to mention my favorite genre is electronic music! But I was wondering if there are some individual difference that someone might be distracted by music, but someone not. Anyway, I am looking forward to reading your further posts and research!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I love the idea that music can make you more productive. It has helped me stay focus so, I agree that it can. One thing comes to mind about this subject is, how when I go work out and I play busy music like dance, pop or maybe some hip hop or even rock and roll. I can 100 % say it helps me work out harder and stay focus. I think it is important that you added information about the different genres and how it does make a difference. I agree with you that every one person is different and they need to experience with different types of music to find what makes them motived. Good job on your blog. I think you have a lot of info and its put together so good. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    This is a really cool topic. I have always wanted to listen to music when I am doing school work but I am not allowed to because it supposedly distracts and makes me not focus on what I am doing. It is true that I do get distracted sometimes and like sing along, but then I always seem to have more ideas on what I am dong. Does music with like no words and just instruments help you study better? Are you going to do an experiment where you do something with music then do it without music and see which time you do it better? That would be really cool if you did an experiment and then blogged about it! looking forward to reading more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your topic! I find it interesting that classical music is what most people listen to when concentrating. I tend to find myself more concentrated when I’m listening to a really catchy song. I can’t get anything done without music playing so I really relate to your blogs. Also listening to music helps me maintain a better mood throughout the day. Maybe you could add a study about how music can help mental health. I really like where you’re going with your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts