Does listening to music result in productivity?

Music is an escape. Some may say that it is a helping hand. It is something that is so timeless and universal; a form of art that makes it easy for people to express themselves and simply be happy. It brings out emotions and affects so many things regarding your personal self. It can really help you get through something.  

In this case, music helps me get through my day to day life by making me become more productive when I’m trying to get any type of work done. Not feeling so great when the house needs to be deep cleaned? Put some music on. Need to finish homework but can’t find the motivation? Put on an upbeat playlist to get you going.  

Photo: MusicOomph
Does listening to music make you more productive? I chose this question because I surround myself with music daily. The reason behind why is because I’m using music to support my concentration, motivation, and attainment of current goals. I am curious to see if it really does influence me or if could just be a placebo effect. However, I do notice that whenever I am not listening to music while trying to function, it puts a damper to my mood. Making me less productive. I could be engaging in anything; from doing homework, cooking, cleaning, doing my laundry, etc. Listening to my favorite artists such as Shawn Mendes, Zeddetc., (I have a wide range!) changes the atmosphere completely and overall makes me into a person that genuinely wants to complete any task. Leaving music on is almost like leaving the TV on as background noise, but even better. It can put anyone into a relaxed state when feeling tense.
  
I want to get to the bottom as to why this is. What is our current scientific understanding of this? What type of music helps? I also want to figure out how this form of art can put me, as well as others into such a focused state. Are there people that don’t have the same need? Does it help to ease anxiety or stress? Does it help to create? If it doesn’t, what effect does it have our brains when we are trying to relieve workloads? How much of an influence does this have on us, to the point that it has become a need?  

For my research, I will use articles, videos, statistics, and Twitter polls.  

Comments

  1. Your post is interesting for a variety of reasons. I think all of us understand the importance of music when trying to gain motivation or get through one of those long drawn-out assignments. I know that I listen to music often when I am cleaning!

    I do have some questions that I hope I get to learn through your blog about this topic. I wonder if even though we believe that the music is helping us study or focus more on the task... does it actually? It puts us in a good mood and makes it seem less dull... but does it have a negative effect on what we are taking in? There has to be a reason that most professors would frown upon a person putting a headphone in one ear during a lecture. Are we actually getting all of the information or just pleasing ourselves by adding a distraction.

    I know that in my least-favorite subjects like science and math, I can't have any background noise (even music) while I am reading or studying. I think this is because I tend to focus more on the music to escape from the assignments. I would like to say I agree with most of your points, but I am very unsure on how I feel the science is going to back up the thoughts that we both have!
    Thank you for your post,
    Anna McCullough

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog. I'm curious o read more. I very much enjoy listening to music while doing anything and everything in my house. It is very soothing. Maybe search up which music is best to get you motivated? Music is food for your soul. Makes you feel good while listening and singing to it. I can't wait to read more on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Topic! I am interested in where your research takes you. I completely agree with everything you said. I also have to be listening to music when cooking, cleaning, working etc. I always thought it was because I have ADHD and get distracted easily so music helps keep all the other random noises out. I also have a theory that everyone needs to sing and dance to music for at least 10 minutes a day to help keep yourself happy... It works for me at least!

    Good Luck with your research I think you have great views and will find some interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This topic is very attractive! I also like listening to some music when I do assignments, but I have never thought about the effects of different music types. It is a special aspect and I think we can all benefit from it.
    Based on my personal experience, when I listen to some gentle music, I could hardly be productive, but rock can help me be excited with the tasks. I am looking forward to knowing some scientific facts about the differences and your discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your comment about music helping with stress and anxiety very interesting. It feels like there are a lot more new ways for people to deal with social anxiety in this day of age. I’ve heard about studies with a similar focus done with growing plants. Do you also think that the type of music a person listens too can have negative instead of positive effect?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts